Monday, October 1, 2007

The Denver Post - Corrie's global conscience surfaced early

The Denver Post - Corrie's global conscience surfaced early: "broke it to her parents gently. 'If I feel guilty about anything,' Cindy said, 'it's that Rachel brought this issue of Israel and Palestine to us. Of course, it had been there all our lifetimes. But I didn't ever try to really understand the situation better.' Rachel's sister, Sarah, wanted their mother to talk Rachel out of going, 'but I knew I wouldn't, and I also didn't believe that I should,' said Cindy. 'My approach to it became to try to learn with her.' Rachel studied Arabic, raised all her own travel money, meticulously planned her logistics and made connections with Israelis and Palestinians overseas. Just 50 days after her arrival, Rachel was a human shield on the wrong end of an Israeli bulldozer. After her death, she was criticized for having joined the International Solidarity Movement, a group the Anti-Defamation League has condemned 'for spreading anti-Israel propaganda and supporting those who engage in armed resistance against Israel.' Cindy calls that a misrepresentation. When Rachel's journal was turned into a mostly nonpolitical play that producers shuttered before it even opened in New York, 'My Name is Rachel Corrie"

No comments: